Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Great Juggling Act


Today my dad came up to help me out with some landscaping work we're doing around the house. So between my dad, myself, Katie and his dog, we went out searching for compost for a flowerbed. The neighbor had Katie for the first hour and a half, which gave he and I time to get to the place to get the dirt. Unfortunately, we also had to take it slow coming back because of the strain it put on the back of his jeep. So here we were, shoveling to get the dirt off so we could go and get more. I picked up Katie and the now 4 of us went off to try to rent a bigger truck to haul dirt. Katie did fairly well the entire day, only complaining maybe once and happily munched on cheerios and crackers while babling away to the dog, which was sitting next to her in the back of the car.

My dad and I, on the other hand, struggled to get that second dirt delivered, after having to wait to get the truck filled up with gas because the idiots who had the truck before us didn't do it. Not on that, but it was around 90 degress today, which didn't help. Needless to say, we got what we wanted to done but I ended up with more of a rash than Katie did (ironic, I think) from the sweat and the moving around while throwing dirt and Katie didn't get as much sleep during the day as she normally does (which made going down for the night easier for momma to do). In any event, it was good to have my dad be able to spend time with Katie and he and I talked about the decision my wife and I had made about me staying home. Surprising, the old man came through with total support of our decision, which makes it easier on me to not have to hear any sort of negativity. Too much negative ways in the world as it is. The last thing anyone needs is more of it.. but I digress.

So between trying to haul, shovel and move dirt, chase a 16 month around in the process while doing so, keep a dog out of the neighbor's yard and keep from passing out in 90 degree heat, I'd say you can sign me up for the high wire act for Ringling Bros. immediately!